This post is also available in: German
As visitors and overnight guests, we stroll through the winding corridors and passages of the castle and feel like we have left the 21st century behind us for a few hours.
Stepping through time
The castle was first mentioned in official documents in 1138 as “a border stronghold” (Salzburg/Styria). In these documents, the castle was ordered to convert the customs office in a passport office. In the 14th-15th Century it was the seat of the “Bergverwesers” (administrator of the silver mining in Ramingstein) and the seat of the Mining Court.
In 1899, Count Sandor Szapáry purchased the ruins and built the new Castle Finstergrün on that site partially on the ruined foundations. 1950 saw the first summer camps of the Evangelical Youth Austria at the castle. Finally, in 1972 the castle was acquired by the Evangelical Youth Austria. Today, Castle Finstergrün is a “Protestant adventure and activity house”, which is open to people of all denominations and religions.